Friday, November 18, 2011

Yearling filly not losing her winter coat?

Okay, it's mid-May in NE Pennsylvania and while I admit the weather's been unseasonably cool, my yearling Morgan cross filly STILL has most of her winter coat. An acquaintance of mine who raises horses thinks it may be nutrition-related since she is wormed on a regular basis. She just turned a year, weighs 400 lbs. and stands 13H so I don't think she's THAT malnutritioned (is that even a word?), but is there something that may be missing from her diet of sweet and hay? Thanks! I was also the one that asked the question recently about lixotinic - maybe this is why my vet suggested it?

Yearling filly not losing her winter coat?
Well my horses still have their winter coats, but I brush them constantly with a shedding tool. Have you tried that? Also, I have noticed that younger horses and older horses tend to keep their coats longer. My friends and I have agreed it is probably because they can't contain their heat very well because in young and old horses they tend to loose and gain weight very quickly. Hope this helps!
Reply:your filly will lose her winter coat when she is ready! in the wild they wouldn't have people grooming them or anything like that. when she's ready she will start rubbing on everything, trees, fence post, exc. then you can groom her to help her shed, till then she needs it.

shell necklace

No comments:

Post a Comment