Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sweet feed and sheep?

Does anyone know if 12% sweet feed has too much copper to give a sheep? I know i have to be careful of the copper content and everyone says I can't give my sheep horse feed, but i don't feed my horses pelleted stuff, i feed them the 12% sweet feed in the winter and an oat, corn, sweet feed mix in the summer. I'm just wondering if its okay to give a sheep that stuff cause I don't always have the time to drive out and get sheep feed.

Sweet feed and sheep?
12% Sweet feed is usually a feed stores personal mixture. You need to read the label for cooper content. Most likely you are fine with the sweet feed for sheep but call the feed store. Also, we have all been told that "cooper kills sheep" but this is not a total truth. Years ago we fed sheep cooper and they didn't die. The cooper scare came about due to special areas of the US that had high cooper in the soil which poisoned sheep and therefore adding cooper to the feed killed even more sheep. This is especially true of area of Michigan...Don't know about your area's content.
Reply:Honestly the best is to just buy the sheep feed, some sheep don't have a problem witht he sweet feed and others do I'm not sure if it's the different brands or what the case may be. Better to be safe than sorry I always say! take care!


No comments:

Post a Comment